Chapter 13: Writing Basics: What Makes a Good Sentence?
By the end of this section, you will be able to:
- Use the skills you have learned in the chapter.
- Work collaboratively with other students.
1. On your own sheet of paper, identify each sentence as a fragment, a run-on, or correct (no error). Then rewrite the paragraph by correcting the sentence fragments and run-ons.
My favorite book is Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, he was born in 1894 and died in 1963 ________. Written in 1931 ________. A futuristic society where humans are born out of test tubes and kept in rigid social classes ________. This may not seem like a humorous premise for a novel, but Huxley uses satire, which is a type of humor that is used to make a serious point ________. The humans in Brave New World learn through sleep teaching, Huxley calls this “hypnopedia” ________. Everyone is kept “happy” in the brave new world by taking a pill called soma, there is one character named John the Savage who does not take soma ________. because he comes from a different part of the world where there is no technology, and he believes in natural ways of living ________. It turns out that John has a big problem with the brave new world and how people live there ________. Will he be able to survive living there, well you will have to read the novel to find out ________. Brave New World is considered a classic in English literature, it is one of the best novels I have ever read ________.
2. Each sentence contains an error in subject-verb agreement, irregular verb form, or consistent verb tense. Identify the type of error. Then, on your own sheet of paper, rewrite the sentence correctly.
- Maria and Ty meets me at the community center for cooking classes on Tuesdays.
- John’s ability to laugh at almost anything amaze me.
- Samantha and I were walking near the lake when the large, colorful bird appears.
- I builded my own telescope using materials I bought at the hardware store.
- My mother freezed the remaining tomatoes from her garden so that she could use them during the winter.
- Bernard asked the stranger sitting next to him for the time, and she says it was past midnight.
- My mother and brother wears glasses, but my father and sister do not.
- We held our noses as the skunk runs away.
- Neither Soren nor Andrew are excited about the early morning swim meet.
- My hands hurted at the thought of transcribing all those notes.
- The police questioned the suspect for hours but she gives them no useful information.
- Terry takes short weekend trips because her job as a therapist was very emotionally draining.
- She criticize delicately, making sure not to hurt anyone’s feelings.
- Davis winded the old clock and set it atop his nightstand.
- Cherie losed four poker hands in a row before realizing that she was playing against professionals.
- Janis and Joan describes their trip to the Amazon in vivid detail.
- You should decides for yourself whether or not to reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet.
- The oil rig exploded and spills millions of gallons of oil into the ocean.
- The handsome vampire appeared out of nowhere and smiles at the smitten woman.
- The batter swinged at the ball several times but never hit it.
3. Correct the capitalization errors in the following fictional story. Copy the corrected paragraph onto your own sheet of paper.
lance worthington signed a Recording Contract with Capitol records on june 15, 2007. Despite selling two million copies of his Debut Album, nothing to lose, lance lost quite a bit as his tax returns from the irs revealed. lance did not think it was fair that the Record Company kept so much of his earnings, so he decided to hire robert bergman, a prominent music Attorney with a Shark-like reputation. bergman represented lance all the way to the supreme court, where lance won the case against capitol records. Lance worthington was instrumental in changing intellectual property rights and long standing Record Company practices. All artists and musicians can thank him for his brave stance against record companies. Lance subsequently formed his own independent record label called worthy records. worthy is now a successful Label based out of chicago, illinois, and its Artists have appeared on well known shows such as The tonight show and Saturday night live. Lance worthington is a model for success in the do-it-yourself World that has become the Music Industry.
Please share with a classmate and compare your answers.
4. Complete the following sentences by selecting the correct comparative or superlative adjective or adverb. Then copy the completed sentence onto your own sheet of paper.
- Denise has a (cheerful) ________ outlook on life than her husband.
- I don’t mean to brag, but I think I am the (good) ________ cook in my family.
- Lydia is the (thoughtful) ________ person I know.
- Italy experienced the (bad) ________ heat wave in its history last year.
- My teacher, Ms. Beckett, is the (strange) ________ person I know, and I like that.
- Dorian’s drawing skills are (good) ________ this semester than last.
- My handwriting is the (sloppy) ________ of all my classmates.
- Melvin’s soccer team played (badly) ________ than it did last season.
- Josie’s pen writes (smooth) ________ than mine.
- I felt (lucky) ________ than my sister because I got in to the college of my choice.